16. Documentation for Samuel Clarence Older
(1837 to Bet 1870 and 1896)
father of James Grant Older
(14 Mar 1864 to 31 Mar 1946)
Samuel Clarence Older was born in 1837 in Ontario, Canada, the son of George Older and Sarah (Gilbert) Older.(1) George Older of Wisborough Green, Sussex, England, immigrated to Ontario, Canada, in 1835 with his wife and two children as part of what became known as the Petworth Immigration Scheme.(2) Samuel Older and Thomas Older, assumed to be brothers of George Older, had boarded the ship England at Portsmouth, England, on May 8, 1832, and disembarked on June 15, 1832, in Quebec, Canada.(3) Samuel and Thomas Older proceeded to Athens County, Ohio.(4)
The following information was provided by the authors of English Immigrant Voices immediately after the Sarah (Redman) Knight passage:
"Some of the emigrants who went to Knight's settlement at Nelsonville must have reported unfavourable. The Hampshire Telegraph of 3 March 1834 printed part of a letter from Knight explaining that the first part, which was omitted, contained Knight's refutation of 'malignant charges' made by people who had emigrated from Wisborough Green and Pulborough.
James Knight died on 26 August 1836 of a 'nervous fever.' Sarah remarried and out lived her second husband. She spent her last years in Athens County, recording in 1863 that she was the last surviving member of the party of 1821 immigrants from England still living there. She continued to write in her journal until July 1867, one month before she died."(5)
George Older, the father of Samuel Clarence Older, was born about 1804 in Sussex, England. Sarah Gilbert, the mother of Samuel Clarence Older, was the first of two wives of George Older. George Older and Sarah Gilbert also were the parents of Emily Older, born October 11, 1833, in England, George Older Junior, born September 13, 1835, in England (1870 Illinois census lists Canada - son Samuel Older was born 1864 - may be same Samuel C. Older in 1930 Illinois census - Illinois Masonic Home - George Older (First_Last), Regiment Name 135 Illinois Infantry (100 Days, 1864), Side Union, Company K, Soldier's Rank_In Pvt., Soldier's Rank_Out Pvt., Alternate Name, Notes, Film Number M539 roll 68),
First husband of Alice ? who married George Older after death of Lewis N. Bissonett: American Civil War Soldiers Record about Lewis N Bissonett, Name: Lewis N Bissonett, Enlistment Date: 08 November 1862, Distinguished Service: DISTINGUISHED SERVICE, Side Served: Union, State Served: Minnesota, Unit Numbers: 1143 1143, Service Record: Enlisted as a Private on 08 November 1862 at the age of 21, Enlisted in Company I, 1st Cavalry Regiment Minnesota on 08 November 1862. Received a disability discharge Company I, 1st Cavalry Regiment Minnesota on 07 May 1863.
Name: Lewis Bissonett, Enlistment Date: 22 March 1865, Distinguished Service: DISTINGUISHED SERVICE, Side Served: Union, State Served: Minnesota, Unit Numbers: 3385 3385, Service Record: Enlisted as a Private on 22 March 1865 at the age of 23, Enlisted in Company F, 1st Battn Infantry Regiment Minnesota on 22 March 1865. Mustered out Company F, 1st Battn Infantry Regiment Minnesota on 14 July 1865.
1920 United States Federal Census Record about Alice G Bissonett, Name: Alice G Bissonett [Alice G B??neth], Age: 29 years, Estimated birth year: abt 1891, Birthplace: Minnesota, Race: White, Home in 1920: Portland, Multnomah, Oregon, Sex: Female, Marital status: Single, Relation to Head of House: Daughter, Able to read: Yes, Able to Write: Yes, Mother's Birth Place: Canada, Father's Birth Place: Canada, Image: 769.
Mary Jane Older born 1840 in Ohio, and Frances "Fanny" Elizabeth Older born August 12, 1843, in Ohio.(6)
The second wife of George Older was Deborah (Boyer) Nye, whom he married on October 2, 1847, in Ross County, Ohio.(7) George Older and Deborah Nye were the parents of Margaret Louisa Ann Older born May 1849, in Cincinnati, Ohio.(8) George Older died July 3, 1849, in Cincinnati, Ohio.(9) Deborah A. (Older) Nye then married William Price on September 10, 1854.
Emily Older, the older sister of Samuel Clarence Older, married Andrew Jackson Arrington on August 28, 1853, in Ross County, Ohio.(10) Andrew and Emily and their family were living in Oregon in 1870.(11) The obituary of Emily (Older) Arrington gives a good summary of her life and family:(12)
Death Closes Long Life of Woman Here
After 92 years of active life, Mrs. Emily Arrington, resident of Portland for 40 years died Sunday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. M. A. Teuscher. No 1303 Wilbur Street. The body is at the J. P. Finley & Sons parlors awaiting funeral arrangements.
Mrs. Arrington reached the 92 year mark on October 11, her hair was only partially gray and she was exceptionally active until three days ago, when she became ill with la grippe, finally succumbing to the ailment.
She was born near London, England, in 1833, and when 3 years old, moved to Canada with her parents. They later moved to Ohio, where she spent her girlhood days, and was married to Andrew J. Arrington when only 18. They newly married couple were among those included in the rush westward for gold, and in 1861 they arrived in Placerville, Cal. Five years later they came by the overland route to Oregon, settling near Woodburn. Following her husband's death shortly afterward, Mrs. Arrington came to Portland and spent her last years here.
Mrs. Arrington is survived by her four children: E. J. Arrington, Mrs. L. H. Wells and Mrs. M. A. Teuscher, both of Portland and Mrs. Emma Kirkham, Marysville, Cal.
After the death of George Older in 1849 from cholera, his children were split-up and each child was sent to live in a different household.(13) Samuel Clarence Older is mistakenly listed as Solomon Older in the 1850 U. S. Census for Ohio, Ross County, Chillicothe Scioto Township. He is listed as age 12, male, and born in Ohio. He appears in the household of John J. Bangs who was a jeweler.(14)
Emily Older was sent to live with her uncle, Thomas Older.(15) Frances Elizabeth Older was sent to live with a Parker I. Gardner, age 36, a merchant, and his wife Elizabeth H. Gardner.(16) Upon the death of Elizabeth H. Gardner in the 1850s, Frances Older received real estate that was listed as worth $6,000 in the 1860 Ohio census.(17) Louisa Ann Older was living in the household of her mother's parents, Richard and Rachael Boyer, according to the 1850 census record.(18) Mary Jane Older was living in the household of her aunt Mary who had married John Burberry.(19) No census record was found for George Older Junior in the 1850 census.
Samuel Clarence Older married Jane Eliza Baird on August 14, 1856, in Ross County, Ohio.(20) Jane Eliza Baird was born August 10, 1835, in Ohio.(21) Jane Eliza Baird appears to have been an only child. She possibly was a daughter of a James Baird Junior and perhaps an Eliza Anderson. A James Baird was born July 28, 1802, in Adams County, Ohio, and died November 19, 1872, in Minonk, Woodford County, Illinois.(22) An Eliza Elizabeth Anderson was born in 1805 in Adams County, Ohio. A marriage between a James Baird and an Eliza Anderson took place on July 16, 1827, in Adams County, Ohio.(23) There is a cemetery record in Minonk, Woodford County, Illinois, for a James Baird and an Eliza Baird.(24) The 1870 census for Woodford County, Illinois, lists a James Baird, age 68, without occupation, born in Ohio, and an Eliza Baird, age 66, born in Pennsylvania.(25) Living with them was an Inger Stephenson who was age 18, female, white, a school teacher, born in Illinois, and who attended school during the year.
Samuel Clarence Older and Jane Eliza Baird were the parents of Anna Rosabelle Older and James Grant Older.(26) Anna Rosebelle Older was born July 26, 1862, in Illinois. She married John H. Butner, February 27, 1883, in Vermilion County, Illinois.(27) She died February 28, 1942. James Grant Older was born March 14, 1864, in Mechanicsburg, Illinois, and died March 31, 1946, in Dearborn, Michigan. He married Wilhelmina (Minnie) Fredericka Lorenz May 21, 1885, in Danville, Vermilion County, Illinois.(28)
Samuel is listed as S. C. Older in the 1860 Illinois Federal Census for Sangamon County, Mechanicsburg Post Office. His age is shown as 23, place of birth is given as Canada, and his occupation is that of broom maker. Also residing in the household are J. E. Older, age 24, who was born in Ohio, and Jane's parents, James and Eliza Baird. Albert (Myers in 1850 census) Baird and Henrietta Drury also are listed in the household. Henretta Drury was born about 1843 or 1844 in Oho. She is listed in the 1850 Ross County, Twin Township, Ohio census in the William Drury household.(29)
There was an 1862-1863 Military Census of Sangamon County, Illinois, and Samuel C. Older was listed in that census. His age appears as 25, a farmer, and his nativity is listed as Canada. For the list in which Samuel appeared, there were 377 men enrolled and 121 already had volunteered for military service. Samuel appears to never have been in the military during the American Civil War.(30)
James Baird and his wife Eliza, the parents of Eliza (Baird) Older, Samuel's wife, do not appear in the 1870 census along with Samuel and Eliza Older. Research has not been able to find them in Sangamon County, Illinois, after the 1860 census nor anywhere else. It is possible the parents of Eliza (Baird) Older, wife of Samuel C. Older, are the James and Eliza Baird who are buried at Minonk, Illinois. Whether the James and Eliza Baird who are buried in Minonk, Illinois, are the relatives of Samuel and Eliza Older has not been proven.
The 1870 Illinois Federal Census, Vermilion County, Danville Township, dated July 4, by James A. Davis, lists Samuel Older as age 34, a broom maker who was born in Canada. His wife, Eliza, is listed as age 36, a housekeeper born in Ohio. Two children, Rose, age 8, born in Illinois, and James, age 6, born in Illinois, also are listed in the household.(31)
The 1880 Illinois Federal Census, Vermilion County, Germantown, Post Office Danville, enumeration district 208, lists Samuel Older as age 43, a painter who was born in Canada. Both of his parents are listed as born in England. Eliza Older is listed as age 46, born in Ohio. Her father is listed as born in Ohio and her mother is listed as born in Virginia. Rosa, age 17, a daughter, is shown as born in Illinois, her father is listed as born in Canada and her mother as born in Ohio. James, age 16, a son, is listed as an apprentice painter who was born in Illinois. His father was born in Canada and his mother was born in Ohio.(32)
The 1890 Federal Census records were lost in a fire and cannot help identify the whereabouts of Samuel C. Older in 1890. The Peoria, Illinois City Directory lists a Samuel Older at 2019 S. Adams, Peoria, Illinois, a painter, for the years 1890 and 1891.(33) James Grant Older, a son of Samuel Clarence and Jane Eliza Older, is listed in the 1889 Danville, Illinois, City Directory, living in Germantown. James is listed as a painter who worked for the Chicago & Eastern Illinois (C&EI) Railroad shops.(34) James Grant Older later became a supervisor for the painting of trolley cars in Detroit, Michigan.
The date of death for Samuel Clarence Older, the location of his death, and place where he is buried is not known. He apparently died before 1896 because Jane Eliza Baird Older married a David B. Wire on February 18, 1896, in Vermilion County, Illinois.(35) David B. Wire apparently died by 1900 since Jane Eliza Baird Older Wire was living in Terre Haute, Vigo County, Indiana, in the home of her son, James Grant Older.(36) Jane Eliza Baird Older died May 3, 1914. Her place of death and place of burial is not known.
Children (Older), born in Illinois:
i. Anna Rosebelle, born July 26, 1862; died February 28, 1942
ii. James Grant, born March 14, 1864, in Mechanicsburg; died March 31, 1946
1. Samuel Older of Sussex, England and His descendants in America by Susan L. Bingler, CGRS, June 2005, p. 7.
2. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index 1997 Supplement by Filby. Also note the following: Family Tree Maker CD #118, Canadian Genealogy Index, 1835, George Older, Living, Upper Canada, Source: Petworth Emigration Scheme, Vol./page 16. Also: George Older, aft 1835, living - Wisborough Green, West Sussex, England. (also see England); Family Tree Maker CD #354, Passenger and Immigration Lists Index 1538-1940: Place: Canada; Year: 1835; Primary Individual: George Older; Family Members: Wife, 2 children; Source Code: 1088:10; Source Name: Cameron, Wendy, and Mary McDougall Maude. The Petworth Emigration Scheme: A Preliminary List of Emigrants from Sussex and Neighboring Counties in England to Upper Canada, 1832-1837. Toronto, Ontario: Wordforce, 1990, 25 p. Source page #16. Also: 1836, Canada, George Older, Source Code: 4915.5; Source page #7; E-mail from email@example.com, Alison McCann, Assistant County Archivist, to Curtis Older regarding Petworth Immigration Records AMM/AV.38, dated Aug 26, 2005 5:24 AM.
" Thank you for your enquiry concerning George Older and his family. One sentence of a letter from him, written in 1836, was published in Continuation of letters from Sussex Emigrants... written in 1836, which was published in 1837. There is also a mention of him in a letter of 1836 to Rev. Thomas Socket, chairman of the Petworth Emigration Committee, from William Robinson, for whom George was working. The family are also mentioned in the journal of Sarah Knight, who had emigrated in 1821 to Nelsonville, Ohio.
All the above are published in English Immigrant Voices, ed. Cameron, Haines, and McDougall Maude, published in 2000 by McGill-Queen's University Press. A list of all emigrants under the Petworth scheme, with all the information about them, and the sources, was published in the companion volume Assisting Emigration to Upper Canada, The Petworth Project 1832-1837, by Wendy Cameron and Mary McDougall Maude. These volumes were the fruit of a ten year research project in Canada and England, funded by the Jackson Foundation, the Jacksons themselves being descended from a family who emigrated under the Petworth scheme."
3. Source: This record is compiled from "A List of Petworth Emigrants, 1832--1837," Part Two of Assisting Emigration to Upper Canada: The Petworth Project 1832--1837 by Wendy Cameron and Mary McDougall Maude (Montreal and Kingston: McGill-Queen's University Press 2000). The list summarizes available sources for information on families and individuals. See also the companion volume English Immigrant Voices: Labourers' Letters from Upper Canada in the 1830s. 1832, England, brig, A1, 320 tons, master Captain Lewis; superintendent J.C. Hale; sailed from Portsmouth (Spithead) 8 May 1832; arrived at Quebec 15 June 1832. In 1832, this ship was chartered by people in Wisborough Green working very closely with the Petworth Committee. Barberry (Burberry) Burchell French Goldring Graffam (Grantham) Hook Joyce (Joice) Mann Older Oler (Older) Saunders Smart Smithers Southerton Thaire (Thayre) Tribe; also see Bingler, Susan L., Samuel Older of Sussex, England, pp. 1-9.
4. English Immigrant Voices, Labourers' Letters from Upper Canada in the 1830s, edited by Wendy Cameron, Sheila Haines, Mary McDougall Mauge, McGill-Queen's University Press, Montreal, 2000, page 396; WSRO, MP1790, Sarah Redman, "Epitome of the Life of Sarah Redman" (typescript copy).
5. Ibid, page 397.
6. Bingler, Susan L., Samuel Older of Sussex, England, p. 7.
7. Ross County, Ohio, marriage records, George Older and Deborah A. Nye, October 2, 1847.
8. Bingler, Susan L., Samuel Older of Sussex, England, p. 7.
9. George Older obituary, in newspaper obituary abstracts, Fairfield Trace (Winter 1990): 11.
10. Andrew Arrington entry, Ross County, Ohio, marriage index, August 28, 1853.
11. 1870 U. S. Census for Oregon, Clackamas County, Lower Molalla Precinct, Post Office - Needy, enumerated June 27, 1870, Roll M593_1285, Page 171, Image 344, A. J. Arrington household.
12. Unnamed paper in Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon, November 2, 1925, obituary for Emily (Older) Arrington.
13. 1850 U. S. Census for Ohio, Fairfield County, Lancaster Township, Page 305, Roll M432_677, Dwelling #486, Family #497, Thomas Older, age 40, male, plasturer, real estate = $600, born in England, Mary A. Older, age 50, female, born in England, Sarah A. M. Older, age 3, female, born in Ohio, Emila Older, age 18, female, born in England.; 1850 U. S. Census for Ohio, Ross County, Chillicothe Township, Page 58, Roll M432_725, Dwelling #897, Family #897, Parker I. Gardner, age 36, male, merchant, real estate = $2,800, born in Ohio, Elizabeth H. Gardner, age 35, female, born in Ohio, Frances Older, age 6, female, born in Ohio, attended school during the year, Catharine Smith, age 21, female, born in Germany, John J. Gardner, age 21, male, clerk, born in Ohio; 1850 U. S. Census for Ohio, Ross County, Huntington Township, Page 313, Roll M432_725, Dwelling #134, Family #136, Richard Boyer, age 58, male, farmer, real estate = $1,800, born in Pennsylvania, Rachael Boyer, age 52, female, born in Pennsylvania, cannot read and write, George Boyer, age 22, male, cooper, born in Ohio, Henry Boyer, age 16, male, laborer, born in Ohio, Rachael Boyer, age 14, female, born in Ohio, John Boyer, age 10, male, born in Ohio, Ann Older, age 1, female, born in Ohio; 1850 U. S. Census for Ohio, Athens County, York Township, Page 215, Roll M432_660, Dwelling #625, Family #635, John Burberry, age 38, male, clerk, born in England, Mary Burberry, age 27, female, born in England, Mary J. Older, age 11, female, born in Ohio, attended school during the year.
14. 1850 U. S. Census for Ohio, Ross County, Chillicothe Scioto Township, Page 6, Roll M432_725, Dwelling #85, Family #85, John J. Bangs, age 41, male, jeweler, real estate = $2,500, born in Maine, H. Augusta Bangs, age 30, female, born in Canada, Florence Bangs, age 4, female, born in Ohio, Harry Bangs, age 2, male, born in Ohio, John W. Bangs, age 1, male, born in Ohio, Ellen. M. Williams, age 32, female, born in Canada, Solomon Older, age 12, male, born in Ohio.
15. 1850 U. S. Census for Ohio, Fairfield County, Lancaster Township, Page 305, Roll M432_677, Dwelling #486, Family #497, Thomas Older, age 40, Emila Older, age 18, female, born in England.
16. 1850 U. S. Census for Ohio, Ross County, Chillicothe Township, Page 58, Roll M432_725, Dwelling #897, Family #897, Parker I. Gardner, age 36, male, Frances Older, age 6, female, born in Ohio, attended school during the year.
17. 1860 U. S. Census for Ohio, Adams County, Tiffin Township, Post Office - West Union, enumerated July 6, 1860, Roll M653_928, Page 48, Image 97, Dwelling #674, Family #679, E. M. Debruin household, E. M. Debruin, age 30, male, white, lawyer, real estate = $700, personal property = $800, born in Kentucky, B. C. Debruin, age 27, female, white, born in Ohio, N. M. Debruin, age 1, male, white, born in Ohio, Francis Older, age 15, female, white, domestic, real estate = $6,000, personal property = $500, born in Ohio, attended school during year.
18. 1850 U. S. Census for Ohio, Ross County, Huntington Township, Page 313, Roll M432_725, Dwelling #134, Family #136, Richard Boyer, age 58, male, Ann Older, age 1, female, born in Ohio.
19. 1850 U. S. Census for Ohio, Athens County, York Township, Page 215, Roll M432_660, Dwelling #625, Family #635, John Burberry, age 38, male, Mary J. Older, age 11, female, born in Ohio, attended school during the year.
20. Ross County, Ohio, marriage records, Samuel Older and Jane Eliza Baird, August 14, 1856.
21. Bingler, Susan L., Samuel Older of Sussex, England, p. 35.
22. Source: "The Baird Family of Guernsey county, Ohio," 1989, by Stewart Baldwin, Division of Mathematics - Parker Hall, Auburn University, Auburn, AL, 36849 (which includes the following sources): Information from Jackie Little, Crestwood, KY; Baird & Beard Families, by Fermine Baird Catchings; 1820 Census, Adams co., OH, p 82; 1830 Census, Adams co., OH, p 72; Our Pioneer Ancestors, by Henry Earle Riggs, 1942, p 34; Note: BIRTH:etc: James Baird, b. 1764, Lancaster co., PA, d. 1831, Adams co., OH, md. (ca 1788?), Washington co., PA, Mary Robinson, d. 1849, OH. He moved ca 1797 from PA to Adams co., OH, settling five milees below West Union on the waters of Eagle Creek.; NOTE REGARDING CHILDREN: "Baird & Beard Families" by Fermine Baird Catchings also gives the two children James Baird, b. 1789, d. 1846, Blackford co., IL, and Margaret Baird, b. 1791, d. 1848. Both of these seem incorrect. There are other difficulties with the children of James Baird besides these two, and this list should be considered tentative. ! source; L.J. BAIRD "BAIRD Genealogy" by Stewart BALDWIN, pub 1989...he moved ca 1797 from PA. to Adams co., OH., settling five miles below West Union on the waters of Eagle Creek. There is some question as to the correctness of the list of children of James BAIRD and Mary ROBINSON.
Name: Mary BAIRD
Birth: 28 DEC 1806 in West Union area,Adams Co., OH
Death: 7 MAY 1840 in ,Adams prob, OH prob
Father: James BAIRD b: 1764 in Bart/Strsbrg twp,Lancaster Co., PA
Mother: Mary ROBINSON b: ABT 1767 in ,Washington maybe, PA prob
Marriage 1 James ANDERSON b: ABT 1803 in ,Adams maybe, OH maybe
Married: 2 JUN 1831 in ,Adams Co., OH
Name: Margaret BAIRD
Birth: 1808 in West Union area,Adams,OH
Death: 1 MAY 1853 in ,Adams,OH
Father: James BAIRD b: 1764 in Bart/Strsbrg twp,Lancaster Co.,PA
Mother: Mary ROBINSON b: ABT 1767 in ,Washington maybe,PA prob
23. Marriage record for James Baird and Eliza Anderson, July 16, 1827, Adams County, Ohio. (TO DO)
24. TO DO - Minonk Illinois Cemetery, Bairds?
25. 1870 U. S. Census for Illinois, Woodford County, Ward 4 City of Minonk, enumerated June 7, 1870, Roll M593_295, Page 380, Image 278, Dwelling #46, Family #41, James Baird, age 68, male, white, without occupation, real estate = $1,000, personal property = $1,600, born in Ohio, male citizen of the U. S. over age 21, Eliza Baird, age 66, female, white, keeping house, born in Pennsylvania, Inger Stephenson, age 18, female, white, school teacher, born in Illinois, attended school during the year.
26. 1870 Illinois Federal Census, Vermilion County, Danville Township.
27. Vermilion Co., Illinois, marriage records, Volume 5.
28. Vermilion County, Illinois, marriage records.
29. 1860 Illinois Federal Census for Mechanicsburg, Sangamon County.
30. 1862 and 1863 Military Census for Sangamon County, Illinois, page 68, Town of Mechanicsburg, County of Sangamon, Illinois, page 73, #256. Older, Samuel C. is listed as age 25, born in Canada, a farmer. Page 76 shows the total Enrolled for the town as 377 with 121 already Volunteered for service. The census probably listed male citizens between the ages of 18 and 45.
31. 1870 Illinois Federal Census for Danville Township, Vermilion County.
32. 1880 Illinois Federal Census for Germantown, Vermilion County, (Danville Post Office).
33. Peoria, Illinois Directory, 1890 Record, Name: Samuel Older, Location 2: 2019 S. Adams, Occupation: painter, Year: 1890, 1891, City: Peoria, State: IL.
34. Danville, Illinois, City Directory, 1889, Jas. Older.
35. Jane Eliza Baird Older Entry, Vermilion County, Illinois, marriages, volume 3, page 100.
36. 1900 U. S. Census for Indiana, Vigo County, Terre Haute, Harrison Township, Ward #8, enumerated June 2, 1900, house number 1658, dwelling number 51, and family number 52.