17. Documentation for Jane Eliza Baird
(10 Aug 1835 to 03 May 1914)
mother of James Grant Older
(14 Mar 1864 to 31 Mar 1946)
Jane Eliza Baird was born August 10, 1835, in Ohio.(1) She was the daughter of James and Eliza Baird Jr.(2) ??Not Correct - James Baird Jr married Eliza Anderson - NO?? in July 1827 in Adams County, Ohio.(3) James Baird Jr. and Eliza (Anderson?) Baird are believed to be buried in the Minonk Township Cemetery in Minonk, Woodford County, Illinois.(4) However, the date of birth of given in the Cemetery Index for Eliza (Anderson) Baird of 1831 could not be correct. According to census records, Eliza Anderson was born about 1801 in Virginia.(5) James Baird Jr. probably was born in Ohio about 1802 based on census records.(6)
The James Baird Jr household appears in the 1850 Federal Census for Ohio, Ross County, Bourneville.(7) James Beard is listed as age 45, a butcher, born in Ohio. Eliza Beard is listed as age 48 and born in Virginia. Jane E (Eliza) Beard is listed as age 15 and born in Ohio. Also listed as living in the Beard household in 1850 is Albert Myers, age 5, who was born in Ohio and attended school during the year.
Jane Eliza Baird married Samuel Clarence Older on August 14, 1856, in Ross County, Ohio.(8) Samuel Clarence Older was born January 15, 1837, in Ontario, Canada, the son of George Older and Sarah Gilbert.(9)
Samuel Clarence Older and Jane Eliza Baird were the parents of Anna Rosabelle Older and James Grant Older.(10) Anna Rosebelle Older was born July 26, 1862, in Illinois. She married John H. Butner, February 27, 1883, in Vermilion County, Illinois.(11) She died February 28, 1942. James Grant Older was born March 14, 1864, in Mechanicsburg, Illinois and died Mar 31, 1946, in Dearborn, Michigan. He married Wilhelmina Fredericka Lorenz May 21, 1885, in Danville, Vermilion Co., Illinois.(12)
The 1860 Illinois Federal Census for Sangamon County, Mechanicsburg Post Office, District #16, enumerated August 6th, lists the S. C. Older household.(13) S. C. Older is listed as a male, 23 years old. His place of birth is given as Canada, and his occupation is that of broom maker. Also residing in the household are: J. E. Older, age 24, female, who was born in Ohio; James Baird, 54 years old, male, butcher, born in Ohio; Eliza Baird, 58 years old, female, born in Virginia; Henrietta Drury, age 17, female, born in Ohio; and Albert Baird, age 14, male, born in Ohio. Albert Baird probably was the Albert Myers listed in the 1850 census for this household. The occupation of butcher listed for James Baird in the 1860 census is consistent with the occupation listed for him in the 1850 census.
The 1870 Illinois Federal Census, Vermilion County, Danville Township, dated July 4, by James A. Davis, lists Samuel Older as age 34, a broom maker who was born in Canada. His wife, Eliza, is listed as age 36, a housekeeper born in Ohio. Two children, Rose, age 8, born in Illinois, and James, age 6, born in Illinois, also are listed in the household.(14)
The 1880 Illinois Federal Census for Vermilion County, Germantown, Post Office Danville, enumeration district 208, lists Samuel Older as age 43, a painter who was born in Canada. Both of his parents are listed as born in England. Eliza Older is listed as age 46, born in Ohio. Her father is listed as born in Ohio and her mother is listed as born in Virginia. Rosa, age 17, a daughter, is shown as born in Illinois, her father is listed as born in Canada and her mother as born in Ohio. James, age 16, a son, is listed as an apprentice painter who was born in Illinois. His father was born in Canada and his mother was born in Ohio.(15)
The 1890 Federal Census records were lost in a fire and cannot help identify the whereabouts of Samuel C. Older in 1890. The Peoria, Illinois City Directory lists a Samuel Older at 2019 S. Adams, Peoria, Illinois, a painter, for the years 1890 and 1891.(16)
"Jane Eliza Baird Older married David B. Wire on 18 Feb 1896 in Vermilion Co., IL.(17) David Wire was a Civil War soldier. He enlisted in Co. G, 28th Illinois Infantry, and claimed a pension on his service.(18) On January 15, 1898 David B. Wire filled out a questionnaire for the Bureau of Pensions. Jane, his wife of two years appears to be an after thought:
First. Are you married If so, please state your wife's full name and her maiden name
Answer: Mary E. Goodner Dead
Fourth. Were you previously married? If so, please state the name of your former wife and the date and place of her death or divorce
Answer: No wife died 1892 Vermilion County Indiana
Fifth. Have you any children living? If so, please state their names and the dates of their birth
Answer. Viola born Dec 1860 Mahala born Sept 5, 1863 Etha E born Feb 25, 1865 Alexander born Feb 1867
Present wife Jane E. Living now [emphasis is mine]
When asked if he was married he indicated that his wife was dead, and then as an after thought mentioned that he did have a wife named Jane who was living! There was no additional reference to Jane in the pension file."(19)
Eliza Wire (or Weir) is listed in the James G. Older household in the 1900 U. S. Census for Indiana, Vigo County, city of Terre Haute.(20) Her relationship to the head of the household is given as mother. The month and year of her birth are given as August 1836. Her age is listed as 63. Her state of birth is given as Ohio and the state of birth of both of her parents is listed as Ohio. Eliza Older does not appear in the James G. Older household in the 1910 U. S. Census for Illinois, Macon County, city of Decatur.(21)
Jane Eliza Baird, died May 3, 1914.(22) The date of death of Samuel Clarence Older is not known. We can assume he died before February 18, 1896, when Jane Eliza Baird Older remarried. The place of death and the place of burial are not known for either Samuel Clarence or Jane Eliza Baird Older.
Children (Older), born in Illinois:
i. Anna Rosebelle, born July 26, 1862; died February 28, 1942
ii. James Grant, born March 14, 1864, in Mechanicsburg; died March 31, 1946
1. Source not known. Probably obtained from Janet Zillman Shinkle, daughter of Wilma Jane Older Zillman. Wilma Jane Older was a granddaughter of James Grant Older, a son of Samuel Clarence Older and Jane Eliza Baird Older.
2. 1850 Ohio Federal Census for Ross County, Union township, city of Bourneville, enumerated September 25th, page 358, roll M432_725. Household of James Beard, age 45, male, butcher, birthplace Ohio; Eliza Beard, age 48, female, born in Virginia; Jane E. Beard, age 15, female, birthplace Ohio; Albert Myers, age 5, male, born in Ohio.
3. Ohio, Adams County, Marriage Records, Anderson, Eliza, Baird, James, Jr., Aug 16, 1827.
4. Index of Minonk Township Cemetery, Minonk Township, Woodford County, Illinois. This record gives the names of James Baird and Eliza Baird. However, the year of birth for Eliza is given as 1831 and the date of death as 11-13-1881. There is no information given for James Baird.
5. 1850 Ohio Federal Census, Ross County, Union township, city of Bourneville.
7. 1850 Ohio Federal Census, Ross County, Union township, city of Bourneville.
8. Ross County, Ohio, marriage records, Samuel Older and Jane Eliza Baird, August 14, 1856.
9. The Descendants of Samuel Older by Susan L. Bingler, copyrighted February 2000.
10. Illinois Marriage Records, James Grant Older and Minnie F. Lorenz, married May 21, 1885, in Danville, Vermilion County, Illinois. Volume V, Vermilion County, IL, Marriages, Vermilion County Court Records, Film #1298746:1298749, lists S. C. Older and Elisa Baird as his parents; Illinois Marriage Records, John N. Butner and Rosabelle Older, married February 27, 1883, Vermilion County, Illinois; 1870 Illinois Federal Census, Danville Township, Vermilion County, enumerated July 4, 1870; 1880 Illinois Federal Census, Village of Germantown, Vermilion County; 1900 U. S. Census for Indiana, Vigo County, Terre Haute, Harrison Township, Ward #8, enumerated June 2, 1900, house number 1658, dwelling number 51, and family number 52, James Older head of household.
11. Illinois Marriage Records, John N. Butner and Rosabelle Older, married February 27, 1883, Vermilion County, Illinois.
12. Illinois Marriage Records, James Grant Older and Minnie F. Lorenz, married May 21, 1885, in Danville, Vermilion County, Illinois. Volume V, Vermilion County, IL, Marriages, Vermilion County Court Records, Film #1298746:1298749.
13. 1860 Illinois Federal Census for Sangamon County, Mechanicsburg Post Office, District #16, enumerated August 6th.
14. 1870 Illinois Federal Census, Vermilion County, Danville Township, dated July 4, by James A. Davis.
15. 1880 Illinois Federal Census for Vermilion County, Germantown, Post Office Danville, enumeration district #208.
16. Peoria, Illinois, City Directory, 1890 and 1891, Samuel Older.
17. Jane Eliza Baird Older Entry, Vermilion County, Illinois marriages v. 3 p. 100.
18. Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, National Park Service, David B. Wire, 28th Illinois Infantry, Union, Company G, Soldier's Rank_In - Private, Soldier's Rank_Out - Private, Film Number M539 roll 99.
19. Bingler, Susan L., CGRS, Samuel Older of Sussex, England and His descendants in America, draft version, June 2005, page 35.
20. 1900 U. S. Census for Indiana, Vigo County, city of Terre Haute, James Older household.
21. 1910 U. S. Census for Illinois, Macon County, city of Decatur, Decatur Township, Ward #6, enumerated April 21, 1910, enumeration district #117, Sheet 10 A, house number 1657, dwelling number 226, and family number 271.
22. Source not known. Probably obtained from Janet Zillman Shinkle.