23. Documentation for Melissa Perkins
(15 Dec 1829 to 23 Jun 1891)
mother of Lucy Jane Harmison
(Apr 1851 to 30 Jan 1908)
Melissa Perkins, Second Great-Grandmother of Curtis Lynn Older:
1) Melissa Perkins, wife of Isaiah James Harmeson, parents of Lucy Jane Harmison
2) Lucy Jane Harmison, wife of Chesterfield Worth, parents of Ethel Leona Worth
3) Ethel Leona Worth, wife of Roy Burton Older, parents of Truxton James Older
4) Truxton James Older, husband of Mavis Lorene Gouty, parents of Curtis Lynn Older
Download Adobe Acrobat File - 23. Melissa Perkins - (The file has the following text plus images.)
Melissa Perkins probably was born either December 15, 1829, or January 23, 1830, in Indiana.(1) She was the daughter of George Perkins and Agnes Allen.(2) George Perkins married Agnes Allen on February 24, 1829, in Wayne County, Indiana.(3) George Perkins was born October 15, 1808, in Greenbrier County, Virginia (now West Virginia).(4) Agnes Allen probably was born in 1811 in Surry County, North Carolina.(5)
Melissa Perkins married Isaiah Harmison about 1848 when she was about 18 years old and he was about 23 years old.(6) Isaiah James Harmison was born in May 13, 1825, in Belmont County, Ohio.(7) His parents were William Harmeson and Elizabeth Farnsworth.(8) William and Elizabeth were married August 19, 1824, in Belmont County, York Township, Ohio.(9) William Harmison was born July 29, 1800, in Belmont County, Ohio.(10) Elizabeth Farnsworth was born May 20, 1805, in Hampshire, Virginia.(11)
Since the father of Isaiah, William Harmison, is listed in the 1840 census of Madison Co., Indiana, it is probable that Isaiah met and married his wife while he was in that area.(12) Isaiah and Melissa Harmison were the parents of nine children:
The following list provides information about the nine children of Isaiah Harmison and Melissa Perkins:
Enos Harmison was born in 1848 and died March 2, 1923, in Cook County, Illinois. He taught school in Chicago. He married Marcella Laingor on December 5, 1878, in Clark County, Illinois. She was born in 1852 and died November 11, 1918 in Cook County, Illinois.
The 1880 Illinois Census for Casey lists 1) Enos as age 32, born in Indiana, his mother was born in Indiana, and his father was born in Ohio. His occupation was that of schoolteacher. 2) Marcella is listed as age 28 and born in Indiana. Both of her parents were born in Kentucky. 3) Malissa, age 3, was born in Illinois and her parents were born in Indiana.
Cornelia Dee Harmison was born February 7, 1850, in Indiana. She married John Milton Myler on July 5, 1866, in Champaign County, Illinois. He was born June 18, 1846, in Ross County, Ohio. His father was William Myler (1809-?) and his mother was Experience McClelland (1810-1906).
The children of William Myler and Cornelia Dee Harmison were: James T. (1868-1950); Charles Milton (1872-1949); Etta (Marietta Ellen) (1877-ca 1927); John Edward (1888-1973); and Melissa (1885-1898).
John Myler died March 27, 1900, in Ogden, Illinois. Cornelia Dee (Harmison) Myler died October 19, 1900, in Ogden, Illinois, and is buried in the Bodkin Yard, Ogden, Illinois. She was a housewife.
Lucy Jane Harmison Lucy Jane Harmison was born in April 1851 in the state of Indiana. Lucy Jane Harmison married Chesterfield Worth. Chesterfield was the son of John Worth and Julia Ann Drysdale.
Lucy Jane Harmison and Chesterfield Worth were the parents of seven children: Elizabeth Ann, Jesse, Clara Belle, Mellisa (Melessia M.), Margaret, Isaphine, and Ethel Leona Worth. Annie Worth (Elizabeth A. Worth) died at age 18. She was buried at Highland Lawn Cemetery in Terre Haute, Indiana, on September 23, 1891.
Chesterfield Worth apparently died in 1892 at Terre Haute, Indiana, probably sometime after March of that year. Lucy Jane Harmison married for a second time on June 9, 1896, in Terre Haute, Indiana. She married Jesse Lewellen who was the widower of Elizabeth Worth, a sister of Chesterfield Worth.
Lucy Jane (Harmison) (Worth) Lewellen died January 30, 1908, in Terre Haute, Indiana. Because she was impoverished, she was given a county burial at Highland Lawn Cemetery in Terre Haute, Indiana. Her grave has no tombstone.
Two pictures of Lucy Jane Harmison are in the possession of Curtis Lynn Older, a great-grandson. He obtained the pictures from Wilma Jane (Older) Zillman, a granddaughter of Lucy Jane Harmison.
Sarah Harmison was born in 1855 and died July 12, 1903, in Chicago, Illinois. She married Frank Mitchel on December 24, 1889, in Coles County, Illinois. Sarah was buried at the Dodge Grove Cemetery in Mattoon, Illinois.
Cynthia Ann Harmison married William T. McGahn on May 9, 1874, in Clark County, Illinois. Cynthia Ann McGahn died in St. Louis, Missouri. She and her husband are buried in Highland Park Cemetery, East Wabash Avenue, Terre Haute, Indiana, section 20, grave 62. The tombstone gives the dates of birth and death for Cynthia as 1857 and 1948. She was buried on March 8, 1948, and the cause of death was listed as myocarditis. Highland Park Cemetery also is the cemetery where Lucy Jane Harmison was buried.
William and Cynthia Ann (Harmison) McGahan had two children. 1) Maud Delue McGahan was born in 1882 and died March 6, 1976, in St. Louis, Missouri. She married Theodore Calvin Bailey. Maud and Calvin Bailey were the parents of Edith Maud Bailey. 2) Francis McGahan was a son of William and Cynthia Ann McGahan.
Henry Burke Harmison was born in May 1861 and died in 1939. He is buried in Washington Cemetery, Casey, Clark County, Illinois. The 1900 census for Illinois shows the following for Henry Burke Harmeson's family: Burt B., born 1860 in Clark County, Illinois, age 40; wife Flora, born January 1862 in Indiana, age 38; son Frank, born August 1880 in Illinois, age 19; Harry, son, born August 1882 in Illinois, age 17; Cleve, son, born June 1884, born in Illinois, age 16; Roy, son, born February 1888 in Illinois, age 12; Eddie, son, born November 1890, in Illinois, age 9.
Levi Allen Harmison was born December 23, 1863, in Casey, Clark County, Illinois, and died in 1941 in North Dakota. He is buried at the Douglas Cemetery, Douglas, North Dakota. The Levi homestead was near Ryder, North Dakota. His spouse was Mary Hayes. She was born January 21, 1866, in Linden, Indiana, and she died September 22, 1932. They were married May 13, 1885, in Vance, Illinois. Their children were: Ethel Ida (1886-1968), George Otto (1888-1939), John (1890-?), Pearl (1893-1896), Adolph (1896-1963), and Opal (1898-1917).
Andrew Johnson Harmeson was born about 1868. He married Rosa Plump. She was born in 1867. Their children were: Leroy (1893-), Esther (1897-), Alfred (1900-), and Ruth (1907-). The 1900 Census lists: Andrew J. age 44, born Illinois; Rosie, age 43; Leroy, age 17; Ester, age 13; Alfred, age 10; Ruth, age 3; all born in Illinois.
George (Bud) Harmeson was born about 1874 (1874-?).
Isaiah Harmeson died December 9, 1887, in Casey, Clark County, Illinois. He is buried in the Macedonia Cemetery, Casey, Clark County, Illinois.(13) Melissa (Perkins) Harmeson died June 23, 1891, in Casey, Illinois. She also is buried in the Macedonia Cemetery in Casey, Clark County, Illinois.(14).
Lucy Jane Harmison, daughter of Isaiah Harmeson and Melissa Perkins Harmeson, identified Isaiah Harmeson as her father on her marriage license form in Terre Haute, Indiana, when she married Jesse Lewellen. She identifies her mother's maiden name on the marriage license form as Perkins.(15) The death certificate for Lucy Jane Lewellen lists Isaiah Harmeson as her father. Jesse Worth, a son of Lucy Jane Lewellen by her first marriage to Chesterfield Worth, signed the form.(16)
The 1830 U. S. Census for Indiana, Wayne County, Washington Township, George Perkins household lists one female less than 5 years of age as the only child in that household. That female child should be Melissa Perkins.(17) The 1840 U. S. Census for Indiana, Madison County, Anderson Township, George Perkins household lists two females age 10 and under 15. One of those females should be Melissa Perkins, born in late 1829 or early 1830, and the other female should be Matilda Perkins who was born January 21, 1831.(18)
Isaiah Harmeson, his wife, Melissa, and their first two children, Enos and Camilla (Cornelia), are listed in the 1850 U. S. Census for Indiana, Madison County, Anderson Township, enumerated October 18, 1850, page 67. dwelling 959 and family 959.(9) Isaiah is listed as age 25 and born in Ohio; Melissa is listed as age 20 and born in Indiana; Enos is listed as age 2 and born in Indiana; and Camilla is listed as age 1 and born in Indiana. Also listed on the same census page are the William Harmison household in dwelling 956 and family 956 and the John Harmison household in dwelling 960 and family 960.(19)
The 1860 U. S. Census for Illinois, Champaign County, Township 19 N Ranges 11 E and 14 W, enumerated August 21, 1860, listed Isaiah Harmeson, his wife Melissa, and six children. The ages given for each member of the family were: Isaiah 35, Melissa 30, Enos 12, Cornelia 10, Lucy J. 7, Sarah J. 5, Cynthia A. 3, and Burke 5 months. Also listed in the household is William Harmison, age 20, farm laborer, born in Ohio.(20)
The 1870 U. S. Census for Illinois, Champaign County, North Homer Township, enumerated July 26, 1870, lists Isaiah Harmison, age 45; Malissa Harmison, age 40; Enos Harmison, age 22; Isabel Harmison, age 17, Cynthia Harmison, age 14; Henry Harmison, age 12; Levi Harmison, age 4; and Johnson Harmison, age 2.(21)
The 1880 U. S. Census for Illinois, Cumberland County, Union Township, enumerated June 7, 1880, lists Isah Harmison, age 55, farmer, born in Ohio, father born in Pennsylvania, and mother born in Ohio; Malissa Harmison, age 50, born in Ohio, parents born in Ohio; Andrew J., age 13, son, farm laborer, born in Illinois, parents born in Ohio; and George W., age 6, son, born in Illinois, parents born in Ohio.(22)
For information on the Harmeson genealogy, see Harmeson and Their Kin by Richard Harold and Irma L. (Cole) Harmeson, Mesa, Arizona.
Children (Harmison), born:
i. Enos, born about 1848, in Indiana (per 1850 census)
ii. Cornelia Dee, born about 1849, in Indiana (per 1850 census)
iii. Lucy Jane, born in April 1851, in Indiana (per census records, death cert?)
iv. Sarah J., born about 1855 (per 1860 census)
v. Cynthia Ann, born in 1857, in Illinois (per tombstone in Terre Haute)
vi. Henry Burke, born about March 1860, in Illinois (per 1860 census)
vii. Levi Allen, born about 1866 (per 1870 census)
viii. Andrew Johnson, born about 1868 (per 1870 census)
ix. George Washington, born about 1874 (per 1880 census)
1. Ancestry.com OneWorldTree; www.worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com, website of Robert B. Cochran.
2. Ibid; The 1826 and 1827 tax records in Belmont County, Ohio, spell the name Harmison. Harmison also is on the marriage record.
3. Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900, Genealogy.com, Harmison, William, and Farnsworth, Elizabeth, August 19, 1824, Belmont, Ohio.
4. Robert B. Cochran website.
9. Indiana Marriages through 1850 - Perkins, George and Allen, Agnes, Wayne County, February 24, 1829, Book A, Page 213.
10. Website of Robert B. Cochran. (tombstone of George Perkins?)
11. Ibid; U. S. Census of Indiana, 1850, Madison County, Anderson Township, enumerated October 18, 1850, page 67, dwelling 959, family 959; (tombstone of Agnes Allen Perkins.?)
12. 1840 U. S. Census for Indiana, Madison County, Anderson Township, Wm. Harmason household. The Robert Farnsworth household lived nearby. The Ancestry.com census records incorrectly list Wm Harmason as living in Huntington County, Indiana, Roll 88, Page 181. The Elizabeth Clark household census entry appears directly above the Wm. Harmason census entry.
13. Website of Robert B. Cochran. (tombstone of Isaiah Harmeson?)
14. Website of Robert B. Cochran. (tombstone of Melissa Perkins Harmeson?)
15. State of Indiana, Vigo Co., Marriages, V 4-M, Nov 1892 - Dec 1896, p. 87, Box 60, June 9, 1896 (929.3177245 V); State of Indiana, Vigo Co., Marriages, June 9, 1896, Jesse Lewellen and Lucy Worth, Book 14, p. 84.
16. Indiana State Board of Health, Certificate of Death, Lucy Lewellen, location of death - Harrison Township, Vigo Co., Terre Haute, N 4th St., date of birth April 1851, age 57 years, widow, father Isaiah Harmeson, mother - not known, information given by Jesse Worth, N 4th St.
17. 1830 U. S. Census for Indiana, Wayne County, Washington Township, page 84, roll 29.
18. 1840 U. S. Census for Indiana, Madison County, Anderson Township, George Parkins household.
19. U. S. Census of Indiana, 1850, Madison County, Anderson Township, enumerated October 18, 1850, page 67, dwelling 959, family 959.
20. 1860 U. S. Census for Illinois, Champaign County, Township 19 N Ranges 11 E and 14 W, enumerated August 21, 1860.
21. 1870 U. S. Census for Illinois, Champaign County, North Homer Township, Post Office - Homer, enumerated July 26, 1870, by John S. Smith.
22. 1880 U. S. Census for Illinois, Cumberland County, Union Township, enumerated June 7, 1880, by Lloyd F. Miller, dwelling 91, family 91.