1. Documentation for Curtis Lynn Older
(05 Nov 1947 to __________)
father of Rachael Lynn Older
(20 Mar 1987 to __________)
Curtis Lynn Older was born in Lake View Hospital in Danville, Illinois, at 7:32 PM on November 5, 1947, the son of Truxton James Older and Mavis Lorene Gouty Older.(1) Curt attended 8 years of grade school at Joseph G. Cannon grade school on main street in Danville. Joseph G. Cannon was from Danville and he was the most powerful Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives in U.S. history. Famous Danville residents at one time or another were Dick and Jerry VanDyke, Donald O'Conner, Gene, Hackman, and Bobby Short. Dr. Tanner was the doctor for Mavis and Curtis Older at various time as well as the doctor for Ethel Belle Fox when she had a stroke and for Wilma Jane Older Zillman and Janet Zillman when they had polio. Joe Tanner, one of two twin sons of Dr. Tanner, was an astronaut and did three space walks. The Tanners went to First Presbyterian Church in Danville.
Curtis became a member of the Society of the Descendants of Washington's Army at Valley Forge on October 1, 1992, when he received National Number 1052.(11) A few years later, after spending many hours researching the subject, Curt became an author in late 1995 when Family Line Publications of Westminster, Maryland, published his book, The Braddock Expedition and Fox's Gap in Maryland. A short time later, Willow Bend Books purchased Family Line Publications and became the publisher of Curt's second book, The Land Tracts of the Battlefield of South Mountain, published in 1999.(12) All of the research done by Curt led him to become the founder of The Society of the Descendants of Frederick Fox of Fox's Gap in Maryland on October 20, 1995.(13)
After extensive work to prove his descent from John Howland of the Mayflower, Curt became national member number 73,031 of The General Society of Mayflower Descendants and member number 1664 of the North Carolina Mayflower Society on March 22, 2004. Curt was featured in the headline article of the Gaston Gazette newspaper on November 23, 2005, just before Thanksgiving, for his connection to the Pilgrims.
Curt's mother had cancer for eight years and was kept alive by her doctor, Dr. Joseph Tanner, who also attended to Ethel Belle (Fox) Gouty when she had a stroke, Wilma Jane and Janet Zillman when they had polio, and to Curt when he had mononucleosis. Astronaut Joe Tanner of Danville, the son of Doctor Joseph Tanner, did three space walks from the Space Shuttle. Joe Tanner was a sophomore when Curt was a senior at Danville High School.
Curt was a big Indianapolis 500 and Indy Car race fan. He attended races at Indianapolis, Michigan, Milwaukee, Pocono, and Atlanta. He attended 23 consecutive Indianapolis 500 races from 1973 to 1995. His last Indianapolis 500 was in 2009. Curt got his hair cut in high school by Mike Cannon, youngest brother of Larry Cannon and Steve Cannon, both of whom raced United States Auto Club Sprint and Midget race cars. Larry was the last man to drive relief in the Indianapolis 500. Larry and Truxton Older were part of a "coffee clutch" at the Deluxe Restaurant most mornings in downtown Danville. Curt got his hair cut by Larry when Curt was in Danville visiting his folks on some weekends and he was a fan of Larry's when he raced in a few Indy Car races. Larry also at one time was Recorder of Deeds for Vermilion County, Illinois, and he recorded Curt's DD214 form when Curt got out of the US Navy.
Truxton, Mavis, and Curtis Older lived at 13 South Griffin Street, Danville, Vermilion County, Illinois, at the time of the 1950 and the 1960 Federal Census. Curt was in the United States Navy at the time of the 1970 Federal Census. His parents lived in Danville, Vermilion County, Illinois, which Curt claimed as his residence while he was in the Navy. Curtis and Linda Older lived at 3441 Summerfield Drive, Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, at the time of the 1980 Federal Census. Curt, Linda, and Rachael Older were recorded in the 1990 Federal Census and 2000 Federal Census while they lived at 618 Tryon Place, Gastonia, Gaston County, North Carolina.(14)
Curtis and Linda Older purchased a new home at 2417 Kinmere Road in Gastonia, North Carolina, in June 2007. They sold the rental house at 3441 Summerfield Drive in Indianapolis, Indiana, on May 31, 2007 and shortly thereafter sold their home at 618 Tryon Place in Gastonia, North Carolina. They moved approximately four miles from their old home on Tryon Place to their new home on Kinmere Road in Gastonia, NC.
Child (Older), born in Duluth, Minnesota:
i. Rachael Lynn, born March 20, 1987
1. Birth certificate, Danville, Vermilion County, Illinois, County Clerk's Office, Registered Birth #1884, signed by Doctor Henry P. Lattuada. Filed November 21, 1947, with G. G. Arnholt, Registrar, Vermilion County, Illinois, probably at page 36393. Ethel Belle Fox Gouty Family Bible in possession of Curtis Lynn Older. Copies of pages from the Ethel Belle Fox Family Bible are in a CD-rom entitled Fox's Gap in Maryland. Danville Commercial News newspaper birth announcement, probably on November 6 or 7, 1947. Will of Mavis Lorene Gouty Older, in possession of Curtis Lynn Older.
2. Registrar, Danville High School, Danville, Illinois. Registrar, Millikin University, Decatur, Illinois.
3. Department of Defense Form DD-214 recorded at Danville, Vermilion County, Illinois, Court House. Permanent military service record at St. Louis, Missouri. Completion of 699 of Spanish language training at the Foreign Service Institute, Department of State, Roslyn, Virginia.
4. Registrar, Graduate School, Northern Illinois University, Dekalb, Illinois.
5. Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, Recorder of Deeds, Summerfield Subdivision.
6. Marriage license at Clerk of the Circuit Court, Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana. Married by J. K. Stevens. License signed by Douglas W. Staebler and Glenda A. Robbins. State of New Mexico birth certificate for Linda Sue Osborn, February 24, 1954, Division of Vital Statistics, New Mexico Department of Public Health.
7. Sons of the American Revolution, National Headquarters, Louisville, Kentucky, national number 128556, by descent from Frederick Fox.
8. Minnesota Department of Health, Section of Vital Statistics, birth certificate for Rachael Lynn Older, filed March 31, 1987, certified by Dr. William Lundberg.
11. Society of the Descendants of Washington's Army at Valley Forge, P. O. Box 915, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0915, national number 1052.
12. A copy of the Braddock book is in the Library of Congress. The land tracts book is ISBN:1-58549-066-0.
13. See material at the Frederick County Historical Society, Frederick, Maryland; the Maryland State Archives, Annapolis; and the Maryland Historical Society in Baltimore.
14. United States Census Records.
U.S. Public Records Index Record about Curtis L Older
Name: Curtis L Older
Birth Date: 5 Nov 1947
Street Address: 1374 Highland Village Dr 16
County: Saint Louis
Zip Code: 55811