161. Documentation for Lydia Gorham
(14 May 1701 to 01 Mar 1763)
mother of Joseph Worth Jr.
(29th 9 mo. 1729 to Bef May 1816)
Download Adobe Acrobat File - 161. Lydia Gorham - (The file has the following text plus images.)
(The following was taken from John Howland of the Mayflower Volume I The First Five Generations Documented Descendants through his first child Desire Howland and her husband Captain John Gorham by Elizabeth Pearson White.)
Lydia Gorham was born in Barnstable, Massachusetts, 14 May 1701. She was the daughter of Shubael and Puella (Hussey) Gorham.(1) She died on the Island of Nantucket, Massachusetts, 1 March 1763 (1st 3 mo. 1763).(2)
Lydia Gorham married on Nantucket 8 September 1720 Joseph Worth.(3) Joseph Worth was born on Nantucket in 1696, the son of John and Miriam (Gardner) Worth.(4) Joseph Worth died on Nantucket 14 July 1790 (14th 7 mo. 1790), at 94 years of age.(5)
Lydia's brother, Daniel Gorham, in his will dated 24 January 1740, proved in Barnstable County, in January 1746, named Lydia as his "second sister," and gave her two-elevenths of his estate.(6) Lydia's father, Shubael Gorham of Barnstable, in his will dated 23 September 1748, probated 7 August 1750, listed Lydia as one of his "seven beloved daughters."(7)
Joseph Worth was called "of Sherborn, housewright," when he sold to his son, Silvanus Worth of Sherborn, weaver, for £60, the dwelling house in Sherborn in which Silvanus lived, with a piece of land "on which the house stood." Joseph Worth acknowledged his signature, 10 February 1759, but the deed was not recorded until 31 July 1763, after Lydia's death. Therefore her signature relinquishing her dower rights was not included with the document.(8) No probate records for Joseph and Lydia Worth have been found.
Download Adobe Acrobat File - [An account of this family was published in The National Genealogical Society Quarterly (December 1988) 76:169-88.]
Children (Worth), born in Sherborn, Nantucket, Mass.(9):
i. Abigail, born 23d 5 mo. 1721 (twin).
ii. Anna, born 23d 5 mo. 1721 (twin).
iii. Nathaniel, born 4th 7mo. 1723.
iv. Reuben, born 14th 7 mo. 1725.
v. Silvanus, born 27th 6 mo. 1727.
vi. Joseph, born 29th 9 mo. 1729.
vii. Lydia, born 12th 12 mo. 1731.
viii. Miriam, born 22d 4 mo. 1734.
ix. Thomas, born 1st 11 mo. 1736.
x. Daniel, born 10th 12 mo. 1739.
xi. William, born 4th 1 mo. 1741.
xii. Shubael, born 6th 5 mo. 1745.
ORIGINAL SOURCE MATERIAL to support the RELATIONSHIP between
LYDIA GORHAM and her son JOSEPH WORTH JR
1) White, Elizabeth Pearson, John Howland of the Mayflower, Volume 1, The First Five Generations Documented Descendants Through his first child Desire Howland and her husband Captain John Gorham, page 591 through 593, pages 721 and 722, and pages 729 and 730 for an extensive listing of original source documents to substantiate Joseph Worth Sr. as the father of Joseph Worth Jr.
2) Nantucket Vital Records to 1850, Volume 4, page 526, Marriages, Joseph Worth, son of Joseph and Lydia (Gorham) Worth, and Judith Starbuck, daughter of William and Anna (Folger) Starbuck, married Nantucket, 6th 12 mo. “called December,” 1753. Removed from Nantucket 29-9-1774.
3) Nantucket Vital Records to 1850, Volume 2, page 503, birth record for Judith Starbuck, October 10, 1734, daughter of William Starbuck and Anna Folger, wife of Joseph Worth (son of Joseph and Lydia Worth).
4) Starbuck, Nantucket, 743, 807, 827; Lydia S. Hinchman, Early Settlers of Nantucket, 2d ed. (Philadelphia: Ferris and Leach, 1901), 195. Joseph Worth, was born on Nantucket in 1696 as one of John and Miriam Worth's seven children.
5) Nantucket Vital Records, 4:526; Otis G. Hammond, "Marriages in Nantucket, 1717-1777." On 8 September 1720 there was recorded at Nantucket the marriage of Joseph to Lydia Gorham, an "off-islander" with strong Nantucket connections.
6) Nantucket Vital Records to 1850, Births, Volume 2, page 630, Joseph Worth, husband of Lydia (daughter of Shubael Gorham and Puella), son of John and Miriam (Gardner) Worth (first wife): _____, 1696.
7) Nantucket Vital Records to 1850, Births, Volume 2, page 630, Joseph Worth, child of Joseph and Lydia (Gorham) Worth, 29th, 9 mo. 1729, husband of Judith (daughter of William Starbuck and Anna).
8) Nantucket Vital Records, Marriages, 3:555, Lydiah (Goarham) Gorham and Joseph Worth, both of Nantucket, September 8, 1720.
9) Henry Barnard Worth, "Nantucket Genealogies. 1608-1910" (MS, Nantucket County Historical Association, Nantucket, Mass.); 425; microfilmed by the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints and available as Family History Library [FHL] film 906,499. This work is helpful for clues but must be used with discretion and in conjunction with court records. Henry Barnard Worth, in his Nantucket Genealogies, 1608-1910, says, "the exodus of Nantucket families to Guilford and New Garden, North Carolina, took place from 1771 to 1774. About twenty families went, among them Francis, Daniel and Joseph Worth."(15)
10) Wm. C. Folger, "A Record of Births, Deaths, and Marriages on Nantucket, Beginning in 1662," New England Historical and Genealogical Register 7 (April 1853): 181-82; reprinted in Mayflower Source Records, 255.
11) National Genealogical Society Quarterly (NGSQ) 76:275-77.
(1) Mayflower Descendant 5:73.
(2) Nantucket Vital Records 5:615.
(3) Nantucket Vital Records 4:526.
(4) Nantucket Vital Records 2:630.
(5) Nantucket Vital Records 5:614.
(6) Barnstable Co. Prob. 8:6 (Daniel Gorham) [FHL #904601].
(7) Barnstable Co. Prob. 8:265-66 (Shubael Gorham) [FHL #904601].
(8) Nantucket Co. Deeds 6:333 [FHL #906233].
(9) Nantucket VR 2:620, 621, 623, 630, 633, 634, 635, 637, 639; Alexander Starbuck, Hist. of Nantucket: County, Island and Town, 827-28.