228. Documentation for John Adam Link I
(13 Oct 1721 to 24 Apr 1805)
father of John Adam Link II
(31 Dec 1756 to 28 Sep 1835)
Download Adobe Acrobat File - 228. John Adam Link I - (The file has the following text plus images.)
John Adam Link I was born October 13, 1721, in Grossgartach, Germany.(1)
Birth record is from St. Lorenz Church. He was in the ship's list and is found in American records.
He was the first child of John Jacob Link and Anna Magdalena Neuwirth.(2)
John Jacob Link, with Anna Magdalena (Ana Madlena), his wife, and their four children, landed at Philadelphia, August 28, 1733. They came from Grossgartach, Germany, down the Rhine to Rotterdam, where they boarded the English ship, "Hope." Daniel Reid was the ship's master. The "Hope" put out to Cowes, England, before crossing the Atlantic. It is all told in the ship's record of the immigrants in the Pennsylvania archives, and in Rupp's and Strassburger's lists.
John Jacob Link and Anna Magdalena Neuwirth were ancestors of General Dwight D. Eisenhower through their sixth and last child, John Matthias Link.(3)
John Adam bought 55 acres of adjoining land on the north (654, Vol. No. 3, Patent Books, in Harrisburg, Pa.).
John Adam Link I died April 24, 1805, in Frederick, Maryland. He was buried at the Frederick Lutheran Church of Frederick, Maryland.(6)
John Adam Link I married Maria Elizabeth Miller on January 31, 1748, according to Augustus Lutheran Church records.(C1) The Hill Church record gives the date as "Second Sunday after Epiphany" in 1748.(C2)
Maria Elizabeth Miller was a daughter of John Jacob Miller and Maria Magdalene Gerber.(9)
Maria Elizabeth Miller, a daughter of John Jacob Miller and Maria Magdalene Gerber, and others came from Germany on Johnson's "Galley of London," Commander Davis, September 18, 1732.(UU) Elizabeth was born May 17, 1728.(YY)
John Adam Link I was a member of ?? Lutheran Church in ??.(21)
John Adam Link I and Maria Elizabeth Miller were the parents of five children:(22)
Maria Madgalene Link, born
Elizabeth Link, born
John George Link, born
John Adam Link, born December 31, 1756, in Oley Hill, Pennsylvania.(X1) He married Jane Ogle.(X2) John Adam Link II and Jane Ogle were the parents of seven children:(X3) John Adam Link II died September 28, 1835, in Shepherdstown, Virginia (now West Virginia).(X4) Jane (Ogle) Link died October 7, 1836, in Shepherdstown, Virginia (now West Virginia).(X5)
i. John, born November 15, 1748
ii. Maria Madgalena, born January 30, 1750
iii. Elizabeth, born January 7, 1752
iv. John George, born September 21, 1754
v. John Adam, born December 31, 1756
vi. Catherine, born October 7, 1759
1. Paxson Link, The Link Family (Paris, Illinois: [s.l.], 1951),p. 78.
The Link Family. Author: Paxson Link. Call Number: R929.2 L756. A record of the antecedents and descendants of John Jacob Link and allied families, from 1417 to 1951. Bibliographic Information: Link, Paxson. The Link Family. N.p, 1951.
2. The Link Family, p. 78; Adam Link I, father of John Adam Link II, supplied bacon during the American Revolution, see Maryland State Papers, Series A, MdHR 4586-15 1/6/4/18.
3. The Link Family, various pages including 26, 72, 284, 192, 374, 543, chapter on Dwight D. Eisenhower; letter from Dwight D. Eisenhower to Paxson Link dated October 10, 1950, copy in the possession of Curtis L. Older.
I. John Jacob Link and his wife, Anna Magdalena Neuwirth, were the parents of John Matthias Link.
II. John Matthias Link and Anna Mary Christina Schmit had 10 children, one of which was Peter Link, who was born in Frederick County, Maryland, 26 May 1765.
III. Peter Link had a son, William Link, born 24 October 1795, in Augusta County, Virginia.
IV. William Link had a daughter, Elizabeth Ida (Juda) Link, who married Simon P. Stover.
V. Simon P. Stover and Elizabeth Ida (Juda) Link had a daughter, Ida Elizabeth Stover, who married David Jacob Eisenhower.
VI. David Jacob Eisenhower and Ida Elizabeth Stover were the parents of Dwight David Eisenhower.
X1. Paxson Link, The Link Family (Paris, Illinois: [s.l.], 1951),p. 78.
X2. Index to Marriage Licenses, Frederick County, 1778-1810, John Adam Link II and Jane Ogle, married April 14, 1783.
X3. The Link Family, pp. 81-4.
X4. Ibid, p. 85.
X5. Ibid, p. 85.
C1. Augustus Lutheran Church, 717 Main Street, Trappe, on U. S. Route 422, north of Collegeville, Pennsylvania.
4. The Link Family, p. 78.
6. Ibid, p. 78-9.
7. Ibid, p. 79.
8. Index to Marriage Licenses, Frederick County, 1778-1810, John Adam Link II and Jane Ogle, married April 14, 1783.
9. The Link Family, p. 79.
10. Ibid. A wedding date of April 15, 1783 is given in The Link Family.
11. The Link Family, p. 80.
12. Ibid, p. 79.
13. Ibid, p. 81.
14. Ibid, p. 81.
15. The Link Family, p. 81, "During the first part of 1784 John Adam II and Jane moved across the Potomac River to take possession of Jane's inheritance and make for themselves a homestead."
16. Ibid, pp. 81-2.
17. Ibid, p. 82.
18. Ibid, p. 85.
21. Ibid, p. 84.
22. Ibid, pp. 81-4.
23. Ibid, p. 85.
26. 1810 U. S. Census for Virginia, Jefferson County, Township Not Stated, Roll M252_69, page 85, Adam Link household.
27. 1820 U. S. Census for Virginia, Jefferson County, Lee Township, Roll M33_34, page 101, Image Number 102, Adam Link household.
28. 1830 U. S. Census for Virginia, Jefferson County, Township Not Stated, Roll 191, page 129, Adam Link household.
The following books discuss Link and Ogle genealogies:
10569 LINK. PAXSON The Link Family; antecedants and descendants of John Jacob Link, 1417-1951, with much history about the Stoner, Crowell, Demory, Remsburg, Thraves, Ropp, Boyer, Fuchs (Fox), Beard (Bart), Miller, Filler, Hanger, Wayland, Osbourn, Hendricks, Reinhart, Stone, Burrier, Root, Houff, Stover, Turner, LaGrange, Smith, Kneiple, Shank, Grove, Cale, Palmer, Lewis, Woodward, Burnett, McChesney, Baylor, Freer, Garrett, Girdner, Creager, Burckhardt, and Eisenhower families. (Paris, Ill.) 1951. xiv. 872 p. illus., ports., maps. 24 cm. 53-22402. CS71.L7563 1951