34. Documentation for James Baird
(15 Feb 1806 to 02 Jul 1868)
father of Jane Eliza Baird
(10 Aug 1835 to May 1911)
Download Adobe Acrobat File - 34. James Baird - (The file has the following text plus images.
James Baird was born 15 February 1806 in Zanesville, Ohio.(1) He may have been the son of a Thomas Harlan Baird and Maria Louis King.(2) Thomas Baird died 29 August 1831.(3)
John Baird, a brother of James, married Nancy Black.(4) John and Nancy (Black) Baird had children named Nancy, Harvey, Erastus, Albert, and Tom.(5) James Baird had three sisters named Henrietta, Elizabeth, and Kate or Catherine.(6) Henrietta and Elizabeth were never married. Kate or Catherine married a man with the last name of King. The couple had 8 children.(7)
James Baird married Eliza Pergrin (Pergrun) 10 April 1828, probably in Chillicothe or Lancaster, Ohio.(8) Eliza Pergrin (Pergrun) was born 29 May 1801 or 1802 in Virginia.(9)
The James Baird household appears in the 1850 Federal Census for Ohio, Ross County, Bourneville.(10) According to the census, Eliza was born about 1802 in Virginia and James Baird was born in Ohio about 1805. James Beard is listed as age 45, a butcher, born in Ohio. Eliza Beard is listed as age 48 and born in Virginia. Jane E (Eliza) Beard is listed as age 15 and born in Ohio. Also listed as living in the Beard household in 1850 is Albert Myers, age 5, who was born in Ohio and attended school during the year.
James Baird was originally in the Scotch Highland Orangemen.(11)
James and Eliza Baird were the parents of three children:
1. James Baird, born 31 December 1828.(12)
2. Martha Noble Baird, born 11 September 1832 and died 27 March 1861. She married William McKenzie on 26 Mar 1850.(13) The couple moved to Edinburgh, Illinois, and lived at Grove City, Illinois. They had 3 children:
a. Arthur E. McKenzie born 25 June 1854.
b. Laura E. McKenzie born 23 July 1851.
c. Alice E. McKenzie born 22 October 1858. She married John C. Beck. The Beck couple moved to Table Rock, Nebraska, and were there in 1920 when Anna Rosebelle Older Roby, daughter of Jane Eliza Baird and Samuel Clarence Older visited there. They had two boys and one girl. "Allie", as Anna called her, was probably older than Anna Roby but they corresponded thru the years. Martha McKenzie was injured in an accident when the horse ran away with the buggy she was riding in and she was an invalid the rest of her life.(14)
3. Jane Eliza Baird, born 10 August 1835 and died May 1911.(15) She married Samuel Clarence Older on 14 August 1856 in Ross County, Ohio.(16) Samuel Clarence Older was born 15 January 1837 in Ontario, Canada, the son of George Older and Sarah Gilbert.(17) Jane Eliza and Samuel Older moved to Danville, Illinois.(18) They were the parents of two children: Anna Rosebelle Older and James Grant Older.(19)
James Baird and his wife, Eliza Pergrin, adopted Albert T. Myers.(20)
Albert was born 11 July 1845.(21)
James and Eliza Baird were living with their daughter, Jane Eliza, and her husband, Samuel Clarence Older, in Mechanicsburg, Illinois, at the time of the 1860 Federal census. The 1860 Illinois Federal Census for Sangamon County, Mechanicsburg Post Office, District #16, enumerated August 6th, lists the S. C. Older household.(20) S. C. Older is listed as a male, 23 years old. His place of birth is given as Canada, and his occupation is that of broom maker. Also residing in the household are: J. E. Older, age 24, female, who was born in Ohio; James Baird, 54 years old, male, butcher, born in Ohio; Eliza Baird, 58 years old, female, born in Virginia; Henrietta Drury, age 17, female, born in Ohio; and Albert Baird, age 14, male, born in Ohio. Albert Baird probably was the Albert Myers listed in the 1850 census for this household. The occupation of butcher listed for James Baird in the 1860 census is consistent with the occupation listed him in the 1850 census.
Jane Eliza Baird (Older, Wire) lived in Tabernacle, Tennessee, near Covington, with her daughter Anna Rosebelle Older (Butner, McDonald) Roby and Anna's third husband, Dr. Andrew Jackson Roby, and with a granddaughter, Goldie Butner, from Anna Rosebelle Older's first marriage.(22)
Children (Baird), born in Illinois:
i. James, born 31 December 1828
ii. Martha Noble, born 11 September 1832; died 27 March 1861
iii. Jane Eliza, born 10 August 1835, died May 1911
1. Baird family information passed down from Anna Rosebelle Older Butner, her daughter Gertrude Butner Culbreath, and her granddaughter Helen Culbreath Hamer. This information is in the possession of Sara H. Chumney, the daughter of Helen Culbreath Hamer. The present address of Sara H. Chumney is mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sara H. Chumney is the daughter of Helen Culbreath and James E. Hamer. Sara and her husband, Dr. James Chumney, are the parents of 3 daughters and 5 grandchildren.
Helen Culbreath Hamer is the daughter of Eddie Culbreath and Gertrude Butner. She married James E. Hamer. James and Helen Culbreath Hamer were the parents of Sara and James Jr. James was killed in an automobile accident at age 27.
Gertrude Butner Culbreath was a daughter of Anna Rosebelle Older and John H. Butner. Gertrude married Eddie Culbreath. Eddie and Gertrude Culbreath were the parents of Helen, Nellie, and Floyd Culbreath.
10. 1850 US Census, Ohio, Ross County, Bourneville. Name: James Beard; Age: 45; Estimated birth year: abt 1805; Birth place: Ohio; Gender: Male; Home in 1850; City, County, State): Bourneville, Ross County, Ohio; Page: 358; Roll: M432_725; enumerated September 25th, 1850; #779, #782; James Beard, 45, male, butcher, born in Ohio; Eliza Beard, age 48, female, born in Virginia; Jane E. Beard, age 15, female, born in Ohio; Albert Myers, age 5, male, born in Ohio, attended school within year.
11. Baird family information of Anna Rosebelle Older Butner, Gertrude Butner Culbreath, and Helen Culbreath Hamer.
16. Ross County, Ohio, marriage records, Samuel Older and Jane Eliza Baird, August 14, 1856.
17. Samuel Older of Sussex, England and His descendants in America by Susan L. Bingler, CGRS, June 2005, p. 7.
18. Baird family information of Anna Rosebelle Older Butner, Gertrude Butner Culbreath, and Helen Culbreath Hamer.
19. Illinois Marriage Records, John N. Butner and Rosabelle Older, married February 27, 1883, in Vermilion County, Illinois; Illinois Marriage Records, James Grant Older and Minnie F. Lorenz, married May 21, 1885, in Danville, Vermilion County, Illinois. Volume V, Vermilion County, IL, Marriages, Vermilion County Court Records, Film #1298746:1298749, the marriage license lists the parents of James Grant Older as S C Older and Elisa Baird; 1870 Illinois Federal Census, Vermilion County, Danville Township, dated July 4, by James A. Davis, lists Samuel Older as age 34, a broom maker who was born in Canada. His wife, Eliza, is listed as age 36, a housekeeper born in Ohio. Two children, Rose, age 8, born in Illinois, and James, age 6, born in Illinois, also are listed in the household.